Wednesday, October 13, 2010

New Obsession: First Listen (NPR)

I have always known that NPR's First Listen existed, but it wasn't until yesterday that I fell in love. It is the best background, study, but not classical and boring music that I have ever heard. If I only I could work that.. hear that NPR? Need a music editor? Pick me! :)

Shameless self-promotion over. I love NPR Music because they have detailed and interesting music news, live concerts, excellent taste and a wide variety - everything from saxophone to dark 'British beat makers.' All in all, lovely.

What I listened to today -

  • 26-year-old singer-songwriter
  • Real name: Thomas Meluch
  • Folky, yet upbeat and a lot of beats
  • Compared to Elliot Smith in the piece
  • "Course synthesizers laid over beats"
  • A new sound, used to make dance tracks
  • Create a "melancholic expression" Sami Yenigun writes (and I could not agree more)
(3) Sidney Bechet's saxophone soulfulness
  • First jazz musician to use soprano saxophone extensively
  • Born and raise in New Orleans
  • Innovator of jazz in the south

**This one is my favorite. I do and I don't wish I lived in this period (c. 1930s).

No comments:

Post a Comment