Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Color and Sound. Sound and Color.

This is probably the best commercial I have seen in awhile. I don't know that the imagery really goes with the product to be sold (a printer), but I love the colors and music. I get what they are trying to say - that the printer can remake colors very precisely, but in this digital environment, we are moving farther from the need of printers. So much of my daily life can now be conducted online and that means, luckily, I help to contribute to fewer trees being cut down.

Here is the making of the commercial, which is shown at the end of the clip. I love how the dancing colors combine to make new and interesting droplets. The music is synced perfectly.

According to their blog, Dentsu London brought on biochemist/photographer Linden Gledhill to create something interesting and new. His project is best summed up on the site -
"The project features surreal ‘sound sculptures’ made of dancing droplets of paint captured in extreme detail as they react to sound waves."
These ‘color sculptures’ were created by stretching a balloon over a small speaker. Drops of paint were dropped on this balloon membrane. Then, a single sharp note was played the paint was jolted off. The droplets were in the air for just a fraction of a second, but the high-speed cameras caught something magical.

Canon Pixma: Bringing colour to life from Dentsu London on Vimeo.

For more pictures of the project, visit Denstu London's flickr account. My favorite one of the series is at the top of the page. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment